25 April 2011

Usagi...


Usagi Yojimbo (literally means Rabbit Bodyguard) is one of my favorite comic book series. I get to know Usagi through Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He has his own action figure, in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figure line. Back then, I thought he was only one of the characters that appear in TMNT series…

He actually has his own comic. Anyway, where I lived last time, comic like Usagi Yojimbo was unheard of. I had the opportunity to read Usagi Yojimbo’s comics only when I was doing my Bachelor degree. I was able to borrow the comics from the local library then.

USAGI YOJIMBO’s comics are GREAT! Do not mind the black and white pages;


they do not really matter once you had read the comic. The great story line is supported by beautifully drawn comic. Characters grow as the storyline go further.


Usagi Yojimbo is modeled after Miyamoto Musashi, set at beginning of Edo period of Japan. Miyamoto Usagi has also appeared few times in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics and animated series and the turtles have also visited Usagi’s world.


He seems to get along very well with Leonardo, the turtles leader because they share the same ideals and code of ethics.

I have yet to read Space Usagi, story of Usagi descendant set in the far future. It should be as great as well.

Most of the Usagi drama in the comic will also stir your emotions. Even without any words, you can feel the emotions and the feeling pouring out of each panel in the comic. Indeed Stan Sakai is a master of story telling and had won 3 Eisner Awards because of Usagi series. That is one prestigious award for the comic world, equivalent to Oscar Awards for the movies.

Great work Stan! Really love your work! I am looking forward to read more of Usagi adventure... I bought Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition, collection of his first seven volumes.


Owh, CONGRATULATIONS and HAPPY 25th YEAR ANNIVERSARY!

No comments: