02 August 2008

Mee Kolok... Or is it Kolok Mee?

One of my favourite dishes from back home is mee kolok… or kolok mee… When I go abroad, far from the mee kolok reaches, I could not indulge myself in the heavenly taste of the kolok mee… it is just a dream to be able to sit together with a bowl of mee kolok, holding it close, feeling the warmth of the freshly cooked mee from the outer shell of the bowl, inhaling deeply the maddening smell of sesame street lingering on each strand of noodle… and to taste the luscious meat against the softness of the noodles in my mouth….

So I search far and wide for the recipe… hoping to duplicate the beauty of mee kolok here in the land of kangaroo… where kolok mee is a foreign food and alien to them… even koalas have never eaten mee kolok because as far as I know, they have never heard or seen nor smell it… Pity pity them… Having to live with only eucalyptus leaves…

So I was searching high and low for the recipe… so that my hunger for the maddening taste of kolok mee can be satiated… The search leads me to few recipes each recipe quite similar to each other with small tweaks here and there to make it a tiny small little different from each other…

Still I was not satisfied… For my culinary skill in creating mee kolok here in the foreign land is not commendable… The mee became only mee but no kolok… It leads to many sad days until the kitchen was shaken to the arrival of my mother from the land where kolok mee roam in abundant…

On that day, the day where my mother produce the mee kolok as if it was nothing, was the day where I finally realise that kolok mee was with me finally… It was always there waiting for me, except that I did not have the potential to draw it to my realm…

Thus with the spirit of Leocanthus and avoiding the coming of the month of Brutus…. I will try with all my might and will to conjure the one mee that will be worthy of the title of kolok or I will have to be content with the title Goblok…

4 comments:

JIM-san said...

So what Abang just get over it....sheesh. You'll eat it again......When you come back! Wahahahahahahahahaha!!!



Farid

Faruq bin Ahmad Kendong said...

Bongok crazy over food get over ur self!!!

DarkAsclepius said...

Hey hey, this my blog and Im hungry, so let me be!

Nadlique said...

Hear hear farid and faruq.
hahahaha